Saturday, March 16, 2013

Medical Update

Kudos to Sechelt medical team for all their efforts re getting the recent vomiting and nausea under control.

My GP quickly realized my oncologist might be better equipped to tackle the problem. Unfortunately, his letter was temporary "lost" (Shaw email issue - lots of folks affected), so transfer to BCCA was delayed. Thanks to the transport ambulance crew, I made the trip without too much incident.

When I first arrived at BCCA I continued to have all medication administered via IV, as I had at St Mary's. That's because I still couldn't keep anything down, not even a sip of water. In addition to getting several bags of saline to counter severe dehydration, I was also getting calcium and magnesium as those electrolytes were also greatly depleted. In fact, magnesium level was so low I had uncontrollable shaking especially in my hands. Even Gravol was administered via IV. Gradually, as things began to settle, I was able to take meds orally - a huge step re prepping to return home.

Within hours of my arrival at the BCCA I was sent to radiology for an MRI. This was my first ever test of that sort. Lots of CT scans, but never an MRI before. The claustrophobia issue wasn't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe, and the whole experience passed quickly without incident.

The MRI was able to show some things not seen on x-rays or CT scans. Most notable was "something" in the cerebellum, near the top of the back of my neck. Unfortunately, the radiologist and neurologist weren't able to determine via a simple reading of the scan result what that "something" might be, so a spinal tap was ordered.

If you, gentle reader, have never experienced a spinal tap, suffice to say it is not nearly as much fun as watching the cult movie "This is Spinal Tap". Not only are there no drummers who died under odd circumstances, including spontaneous human combustion, a "bizarre gardening accident" and, in at least one case, choking to death on the vomit of person(s) unknown, but the procedure isn't a fraction of the fun the film is.

The initial ST (aka lumbar puncture) was done while I lay on my side in my hospital bed. The resident performing the procedure began by digging his fingernail between two vertebrates in an effort to determine whether there was enough space for the "tap" needle to be inserted. Having decided the first attempt was a non-starter, he moved on to the adjacent bones. Try as he might, however, the spinal fluid couldn't be accessed let alone drained. Needle placement was apparently the issue. Two days later, I found myself rolling into radiology for another ST, this time with the aid of fluoroscopy. Success at last - and painlessly. Fortunately, the fluid was clear of both tumour markers and metastasises.

That test allowed the BCCA team, including my oncologist, to conclude the "something" at the back of my head is the source of all my recent grief. Unlike the tumour that was removed from my frontal lobe in Nov (and the smaller tumour that was left in the area for the radiation to deal with), this tumour is somehow different in composition so can be treated by means other than surgery. I think the chemo I'm due to get is Doxorubicin, a nasty red liquid that has to be administered very, very slowly via syringe because if there is any damage to the vein and the drug leaks out of it, it will essentially kill any tissue it comes in contact with.

The area of the brain affected by this new finding is the part responsible for balance and orientation. It also has some bearing on vision which accounts for the loss of the peripheral vision in my right eye.

At present I don't have a treatment schedule other than an appointment for a follow-up MRI on April 18. Still trying to get vomiting completely under control first. Did have a wee episode shortly after arriving home. Palliative nurse popped by and in the course of our conversation I mentioned ongoing ache in area of sacrum and top of right femur. She told me to take a low dose Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) - which I already had on hand - on a regular basis to increase my comfort level. Soooo, as soon as she left I took one of the pills. Without food. Bad move. And hour later I was vomiting again. Fortunately, it seems to be a one-off event. Either that or sleep is still my best medicine - went to bed last night at 5pm, awoke this am at 8am.

For now, I'm trying to keep my head and eyes as still as I can as sudden changes in position are a major trigger for nausea. So is bright light as it enhances any "floaters" from my right eye.

So, in addition to building me the most amazing access ramp at the front of my house, Phil is waiting on me hand and foot. Yup, I'm one very spoiled puppy. Gosh but he makes good soup and cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment