Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy at Home

Ah, the comforts of home. After almost six weeks of enjoying the fine hospitality of St. Mary's Hospital and the BC Cancer Agency, it's a nice - indeed, welcome - change.

To all who visited during this trying time, my heart-felt gratitude. Amazing how a smiling face and word re what is happening "outside" helped take my mind off my little cares. It was so nice to have a chance to visit at length with so many I don't get as much time to talk to in other circumstances. Thanks, too, to those who sent cards and flowers or who phoned. Your thoughts and prayers were also most welcomed and appreciated. Apologies to anyone who sent email messages - didn't have wifi access so only read the notes after I got home.

As Penny noted in her earlier post, nausea and vomiting have been ongoing issues for me since Christmas. The problem became more acute after Jan 1. Suspect the most obvious side effect to anyone else would be weight loss - when I was weighed at St Mary's just prior to transferring to BCCA, I was down 40 lbs from my pre-Christmas weight. Yes, I had found a very effective weight-loss method, but I'm sure Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig are much more pleasant alternatives.

It was only a couple of days ago that I realized 2013 is the second year in a row that I started counting down the calendar by investigating a country's medical system. Not something I intend to continue on for another, let me tell you. In any case, a closer look at my local medical system has revealed a few things that have much amused my little mind.

Anyone familiar with the Sunshine Coast will be aware that St Mary's is about to open its much-anticipated new wing. No doubt that was the reason I was constantly moved during my stay. All tolled, I was in seven different rooms, some (such as the post op recovery area) were make-shift arrangements while other days found me in a private room. Suspect the "tour" was given so I will not only appreciate the privacy of the individual rooms in the new wing (should I need to check those out), but also a means of ensuring that I feel I am getting the most for my healthcare dollars.

Highlight of St Mary's visit for fibre fans: the tree outside the window of my last room played host to a massive collection of lichen. The texture of the lichen was like Old Man's Beard but, rather than hanging like a series of threads, this stuff clustered into balls. I first noticed the tree in the fading light of dusk and mistook it for a green apple tree. Clever dyers who had a bag or two handy for harvesting.

Remember I was admited for uncontrolled nausea and vomiting? Well, the hospital's catering firm, Sodexo, ensured that activity continued after my admission. The very smell of any hot food on offer was enough to send my tummy tumbling, so I was restricted to cold stuff. The "kitchen" soon deduced that egg salad sandwiches were one of the few things I could tolerate, so decided that would be all that was offered for four straight days. Many thanks to Penny, Roz, and others who visited with alternative edibles in hand - I'm sure your donations did much to aid my recovery. The BCCA uses a different firm (Morrison) and I had absolutely no trouble swallowing anything served there. Bonus: an hour before lunch or dinner was served, I was asked which items on the "menu" I might like to have! Healthier choices and far less food waste at the BCCA than St Mary's, let me tell you.

On a related topic, I was amused by the nurses' excitement over the slightest BM. Really. Had my first after a good week, and when I reported the info to the night nurse in response to a query, she responded with an enthusiastic, "I heard!". Who knew those in the nursing profession prefer to forego other topics of conversation amongst themselves if there is something to report about the BM activity of one of their patients. Honestly. The topic garnered more excitement among the ranks than news that I had walked a full city block and back (with aid of my walker) after such a long time in bed, or word that the conclave in Rome had elected a new pope, or that Marc Garneau was putting his support behind Justin Trudeau.

No comments:

Post a Comment