Monday, August 1, 2011

So Much to See in London Town

My apologies for rattling on about Kew, but it was one of my "bucket list" sights - and worth every minute of the visit. I did a lot of other things will I was hanging about Greater London.

One goal was meeting up with my dear friend Barbara (my former director at the Canadian Library Association) and her husband Alistair. They live in Woolwich, just outside of Greenwich. Somehow between my packed itinerary and their hectic schedule (they were trying to finish up work before heading to Italy for a tour - Alistair is in a choir that was making the rounds there) we managed to get together for two nice visits. The first was at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Despite several tube and rail lines being down due to general maintenance and upgrades for the upcoming Olympics (2012), I managed to arrive two hours early for our rendezvous. Took the opportunity to check out the Brompton Oratory next door as well as Harrod's which was just down the street. This was my first visit to both. Not sure what impressed me more at Harrod's, the food halls or the decor. Here's a shot of one section of the food halls and another of the Egyptian escalator.



It was my first visit to the museum, and I would go back again in a heartbeat as there is so much to see. The line to buy tickets to the special exhibits was horrendously long, so we opted to take in some of the permanent exhibits instead (which were free of charge by the way). I did go back another day to see the ticketed exhibits, but sadly the Yohji Yamamoto show had ended and the queue for Cult of Beauty was no less shortened. But I digress. Barbara, Alistair and I took time to admire the Dale Chihuly chandelier in the lobby before heading to the glass gallery. Amazing stuff. I was especially taken with the railing to and around the mezzanine. Modern pieces by Chihuly, Morris, and the like were exhibited in the entry area of the gallery while historical glass, some from ancient Rome and earlier, were arranged in cases and floor-to-ceiling shelves in the back of the wing as well as the mezzanine. Heaven help anyone who might be standing there during an earthquake! We also took time to view the architecture gallery which housed a number of very interesting maquettes (architectural scale models). Alistair told me a lot of interesting things about how the museum came to be as well as some trivia about some of the more notable pieces in the collection. When I returned on another day, I made sure to take in the British watercolours. Barbara had written all the info panels for that gallery, and they were excellent informative texts I must say.

Our brains heavy with new knowledge and eye candy, we took a break at a pub before walking around Knightsbridge and Chelsea before catching a double-decker bus (yes, we rode upstairs) to Charing Cross where Barbara and Alistair caught the train home. Along the way we passed through many a tony neighbourhood. I especially liked this doorknocker.
And this former Michelin building.
We also stopped in at a Vodaphone shop so that I could have time on the cell phone I had borrowed from Barbara and Alistair. Forgot to have roaming activated on mine before I left, so was unable to make either local or long-distance calls. Heck, I couldn't even get the alarm to work as my Canadian device didn't know what time zone it was in! Bless you B&A!

After parting company at Charing Cross rail station, I made my way to Covent Garden where most of the shops were closed. Even so, there were plenty of opportunities both in and around the area to enjoy live music - from traditional Celtic bands to classical ensembles, rock and street percussionists banging on garbage cans, it was all here and all very enjoyable. The pubs were so crowded, there were as many if not more people on the sidewalks as in the establishments. Far too crowded for my comfort. I contented myself by window shopping along the rare and antiquarian bookstores that line Cecil Court near Leicester Square.As it was getting dark, I headed back to my cozy room in Kew and an early bed.

Thus ends day two of my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment