Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More Trip Pix

Time to finish the round-up of my trip photos and memories. I'll start with some of the other stuff I did in London:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the highlights of my trip was getting together with Barbara and Alistair. Barbara was my boss when I worked at the Canadian Library Association in Ottawa. Hadn't seen each other in 20 years, but she is as fun as ever. Alistair is also a dear, despite the demonic look "red eye" is giving him in this photo I took while visiting their lovely home in Woolrich.


Stopped off in Greenwich en route to their place. Got slightly stressed at one point because depending on where I stood on "the line" I was either early or late for dinner! Of course, my gracious hosts said I was right on time.


Other things I did:
Enjoyed several flavours of Turkish delight thanks to the sweets counter at Fortnum and Mason.

Attended First Night at the Proms at Royal Albert Hall. Shared a box seat with two women who play French horn in the national police orchestra - they were most entertaining, especially when Claire's cell phone slid off the railing and landed in her glass of beer. Great seats, right over the string section. The look on my face in this photo says it all (can't believe I'm sitting in a box seat at Royal Albert Hall!).

Met up with Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens.
Did a bit of shopping. In some cases, such as the Liberty store, the buildings were as interesting as the goods on offer.
I had been to the British Museum and National Gallery on previous trips to London, so didn't spend a lot of time there. However, there was a very interesting work of art outside of the National Gallery. Made entirely of plants, it was something of a show-stopper. Folks couldn't help feeling the plants to confirm that they were real. One woman had her photo taken as if she was lying in a field. Great place to people-watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment