Sunday, July 31, 2011

Kew the Gardens

Time, typing skills, and the risk of overtaxing the attention/interest span of my gentle readers prevents me from giving a second by second detailed account of my 18 days in the UK. However, for the many (okay, two) readers who requested photos with commentary, here is the first of my travelogue installments. Suggest you pour a fresh pot of tea (or something stronger) to steel yourselves. I will try my best to make this less painful than most holiday photo slide shows I've been forced to endure. Now, on with the show...

The first eight days of the holiday were spent in London and environs. I was on my own, so able to do what I wanted when I wanted. Pure luxury that.

First order of business was to find my way out of Heathrow and onto the tube bound for Kew Gardens. A very pleasant journey made all the more enjoyable by a group of Portugese travellers in town for a Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University meeting (see www.bkwsu.org for info about the group). One of the group produced a handful of papers that were something along the line of fortune cookie writings, but in Portugese. Her fellow travellers and I were each offered one of our choice from the fanned out deck, and she offered to translate my choice. It read something like this: "I never set impossible goals for myself and I'm always willing to find solutions." Hmmm. Interesting that this journey should begin with a spiritual encounter, and one that insists that my goals are obtainable, no?

I had secured a room in a house near Kew Gardens for the solo portion of my trip. It wasn't a B&B as such, but rather a bedroom in a woman's house. The space was small, but more than ample for my modest needs. Came with a fridge, mircrowave, toaster, and kettle. I shared the bathroom with her son (not at the same time, of course). 
The bed was very comfy. The location was quiet (aside from the occasional Heathrow fly past) yet only a five minute walk to the tube station and 10 minutes stroll to the gardens. At ~$260 Cdn for eight nights, it was far cheaper than a hotel and much more comfortable than a hostel. And having both a Boots and a Marks & Spencer's (great source of prepared meals) a short block away was a bonus. Would definitely go that route again.


As soon as I dropped off my bags, I headed for the Royal Botanical Gardens (aka Kew). Had only three hours to wander the grounds before it closed, so got my bearings by taking the hop-on-hop-off shuttle which stopped at most of the sights I wanted to take in. Must say it was a wonderful time of year to visit the gardens, although it would have been amazing to see the Rhododendrun Dell and Azalea Garden in their full splendor. Even so, the air was heavy with the scent of sage and lavender, and so many of the blooms were at their colourful best.

I was especially taken by the various conservatory buildings, as much for the structures themselves as for the plant life growing inside. Would be hard pressed to pick a favourite garden, but think it might well be a toss up between the Waterlily House and the Palm House.


 Also enjoyed Sir William Chamber's "folly" buildings The pagoda is one of my favourites.

 As an added treat, artist Tom Hare had erected a number of sculptures near Kew Palace. The work is reminiscent of Patrick Dougherty's. In this case, each piece was constructed of a metal frame covered with willow to resemble an enormous seed pod. I especially liked the lotus and poppy seeds, but others also intrigued. To learn more about Tom Hare and his amazing work, check out his blog at http://tomharewillowman.blogspot.com/   (fibre friends note the floral "sweaters" under Hare's willow horse in the bit re the Chelsea Flower Show.)




Drinking in so much natural beauty put me in need of refreshment, so when I finished touring the gardens I trotted over to The Original Maids of Honour on Kew Road. Unlike my self-appointed bride's maids (you know who you are), these "maids" were filled with taste. Essentially a puff pastry tart, they were the perfect accompaniment to a nice cuppa Earl Grey. While a tad pricey, as is everything in Greater London, the novelty of the story of their origin was worth the price as was the chance to sit in the charming little tea room.

Am a trifle tired after reading about all this activity. Will add more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment