Monday, April 19, 2010

Sleepier Sunday and Monday

Ah, the best laid plans of mice, men, and the woman who has not yet felt the full force of her first chemo treatment.

Suffice it to say that much of Saturday's plans remain as such. I had felt a tad off when first waking up, but given my energy level at the time thought it of little consequence. By noon, however, that energy was flagging mightily and I knew, from past experience, that the chemo side effects were starting to kick in. Thankfully, I had completed the majority of my necessary chores but, sadly, had yet to start any of the fun activities I had planned for the day. No matter. I snuggled down into my cozy bed at about 4pm and awoke somewhat dazed at 2pm the following day (Sunday). (Yes, I did wake up for the obligatory trips to the washroom, for a small snack and drink of water, but since this is an all-ages-access blog, I thought it best not to mention the fiddly bits.) So much for attending church! I've learned that there will be a short meditation-focused service on Weds, and if my treatments finish in time I may well start attending those sessions as it appears mid-Sat to mid-Sun will be the tougher times during the weekly chemo cycle.

Last time I was on chemo I had about 24-48hrs of feeling good/okay followed by 24-48hr of flu-like symptoms which wound down to a general blah feeling before that morphed into something nearing normalcy. And then I'd be back having my next chemo and the cycle would begin again. Those flu-like symptoms aren't quite flu-like, but that is the easiest way to describe them. Perhaps it is more like the sensation I get just before the typical flu symptoms - joint aches, stomach upset, fever - set in. The headache, on the other hand, is very much present. The worse thing I've tried to do is rally against all this. The best thing? Take a Tylenol and go to bed.

Sleep is a wonderful healer. I trust my body enough to let it tell me what it needs and when it needs it. The approach has allowed me more time and energy to play in the garden and do other things around the house, read, sort through email, etc. than if I took the alternative approach. That's when I would, inevitably, pull a muscle or get terribly short of breath. Now that I'm a "woman of leisure", I can afford to take things at a more leisurely pace. At least it works for me.

Still had a bit of the fatigue and general blah stuff today. At least most of the headache has passed. Puttered in the garden, went to the bank, popped in on Jon for some gardening advice, and laid down for a five-hour "nap". Hope to have enough energy this week to enjoy some time with cousin Donna and her husband Hans (from New Brunswick) who are stopping in to see Mom after visiting other relatives on Vancouver Island.  They are scheduled to arrive on Wed, my next chemo day.

Night is falling. Bed is calling again. Given the amount of sleep in my near future, I am warmed by this late philosopher's thoughts:

Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.  ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Of course, the concept of sleep always sounds more inviting when expressed by a poetic soul:

Then, the cool kindliness of sheets, that soon
Smooth away trouble; and the rough male kiss
Of blankets....  
~Rupert Brooke


This, however, might be the most accurate description of my new time-consuming past-time (although I'll leave the counting to Mrs. Sarkozy):

Sleep is perverse as human nature,
Sleep is perverse as legislature....
So people who go to bed to sleep
Must count French premiers or sheep,
And people who ought to arise from bed
Yawn and go back to sleep instead.  
~Ogden Nash



'Nite nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment