Friday, April 16, 2010

I'll drink to that

I have long mused that I was born into the wrong century or era. What century or era was the more appropriate is up for debate, but after thumbing through my 1868 (the 2nd) edition of The Philosophy of Eating by Albert J. Bellows, MD (a "late" professor of Chemistry, Physiology, and Hygiene), I have concluded that the Victorian era would be a fine place to land. The good doctor concluded, in a chapter titled "Diet in Sickness", that the diet provided in hospitals should be as follows. For the sake of simplicity/editing for length, I will only include the breakfast portioned out at a few hospitals.

St. Thomas's Hospital of London
Full diet: 2 pints beer, 14 oz bread, water gruel
Dry diet: 14 oz. bread, 2 pints of beer, water gruel
Milk diet: 12 oz. bread, 1 pint of milk
Fever diet: 12 oz bread, 2 pints of beer

London Hospital
Common diet: 12 oz bread, 1 pint porter men, 1/2 pint porter women, gruel
Middle diet: Same as common.
Low diet: 8 oz bread, gruel
Milk diet: 12 oz bread, gruel

All three hospitals above have, when ordered by the physician, given boiled mutton to those on the full diet "in addition, chops, steaks, fish, wine, spirits, porter, etc."

At Westminster Hospital, so-called incurables were given 3/4 lb bread, 1/2 lb meat, 1/2 lb potatoes, 1/4 pint milk, and 1/4 pint porter daily.

Only Middlesex Hospital listed a cancer diet which consisted of 12 oz bread, 1/2 lb meat, 1/2 lb potatoes, 1 pint milk daily.

I note with more than a passing interest in the mention of "shells" being served at breakfast and supper at Boston City Hospital.

Do not for a minute think that I am advocating an alcoholic diet. Far from it, although I do enjoy a tipple of good wine now and then. However, my current malady has me less interested in wine and more interested in experimenting with a vegetarian + seafood diet. My appreciation for the finer things in the culinary world has not been curtailed, however. For example, as I type I am sipping on a lovely Vignette Wine Country Soda which is all natural and non-alcoholic. The key ingredient is Chardonnay grape juice concentrate. At 100 calories per 12 oz bottle, it is a nice treat. It is also nice diluted with a bit of sparkling water, cranberry juice, or both. Picked up a four-pack at a shop called Homewerx on Davie St between Burrard and Thurlow. Cost was under $12.

So you see, I'm doing okay. Haven't entirely given up the things I enjoy. And I'm feeling much better today than yesterday, and most certainly better than after treatment on Wed (I believe much of the credit goes to Wendy and her excellent treatment yesterday). Heck, felt good enough that I did some gardening today. Nice way to enjoy the sun.

1 comment: