Friday, October 28, 2011

Knit n' Sip Kelowna-Style

Tagged along with Roz and Penny on a trip to visit Penny's daughter, Nessa, in Kelowna. A much tamer journey than the originally planned self-appointed-bridesmaid's-tour of 2009, but just as fun.

Found some lovely dyed-in-Kelowna yarn (brand name is Mulberry Yarns) at Art of Yarn, a wool shop in town. On the way home, we also stopped in at Aurelia Wool and Weaving in Merritt - was so inspired by the colour range available, I'm seriously thinking of giving spinning another go. Each evening of our stay at Nessa's, Roz, Pen and I spun or knit as we watched bizarre TV programs (is that redundant? Bizarre? TV shows?). I started working on a large-gauge wool floor mat that I plan to use next to my bed whenever I get around to having the wall-to-wall carpet pulled up and cork flooring laid down. Sorry I don't have a photo, but imagine a creamy-slightly-off-white yarn about twice the thickness of lopi. I placed two eight-stitch cables along one side and left the rest of the piece as a field of reverse stockinette. The knitted cables play off the purled background very nicely, me thinks. The finished piece currently measures about 30" x 4'. Of course, I haven't fulled or backed it yet. All in good time.

Of course no visit to Kelowna would be complete with a visit to a winery or two. Swirled, sniffed, spat, and sipped our way through the various offerings at St. Hubertus, Cedar Creek, Mt. Boucherie, and the picturesque Mission Hill.





Turns out we weren't the only ones enjoying a visit to the wineries!

Ventured north toward Vernon, and also partook of the offerings of Gray Monk, Ex Nihilio, and Arrowleaf Cellars. The wineries weren't the real reason for traveling that far north, however. Penny is a very new beekeeper and was eager to see how the bees do it at Planet Bee. A sweet visit, that.
All I can say about the above photo is that it never ceases to amaze me what friends will do for my amusement!


We also made a stop at the local opal mine's shop. A very interesting experience. Who knew we had an opal mine here in BC? Also took time to stroll around a scent-filled lavender and herb garden, and to visit the local farmer's market. All good fun.

Was especially pleased that my dear friend Betsy managed to find time in her busy schedule for a brief but enjoyable visit.

Good fun all 'round.

No comments:

Post a Comment