Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cane Scrutiny

Am happy to report that while there are a few nagging spots on my hands and feet, the current round of hand-foot syndrome is nothing like the initial bout. Thank God! Okay, so I lost a portion of one toenail, have a split between another toe and the sole of my foot, and am experiencing extensive dryness in both toe and finger tips once more. At least there's no blistering! No matter. Should I require assistance re walking, I have a new device that is more than up for the challenge.

When it was apparent that my feet would be causing me some grief, I took the opportunity to check out the range of canes that are available in healthcare supply stores and pharmacies. Most are soulless metal devices with large sponge-covered handle. True, some sport lovely floral or paisley patterns, but none seemed the right "fit" for me. While it seemed a tall order, I wanted a cane that would help me through more than just the physical challenges of compromised feet.

I've long admired the work of Bradley Hunt, a local carver who came to the Sunshine Coast by way of Bella Bella. You can see Bradley's lovely work on the "welcome to Sechelt" sign as you come into town and on the doors of the Heritage Playhouse in Gibsons. His son Shawn is becoming a respected artist in his own right, having caused something of a sensation with a painting that depicted Bill Reid's famous raven atop an Andy Warhol-like soup can. Shawn's an amazing carver, too. He, younger brother Dean and Bradley worked on an entryway for a house in Roberts Creek (see http://www.shawnhunt.net/?p=84  for photos of the project). A very talented family, to say the least. I approached Dean with the idea of carving a cane, and he readily accepted the challenge.

I gave Dean a rough idea of what I wanted (size, general shape, some ideas for possible design inspiration), but left the actual design and finishing details up to him. As I told him, this was to be a fun project for us both, and it turned out to be that and more.

Here's what Dean created.






The details didn't photograph very well (due to the photographer and camera), so here's a brief general description:
The cane is made of two pieces of wood, a maple shaft with a handle of something else that has slipped my mind at the moment (cedar?). Although the shaft was turned on a lathe to achieve the general shape, the surface was subsequently knifed to create a softer finish. The handle was also knifed. The shaft was finished with a coat of varathane, but it still feels much like satin. The rubber tip can be removed and replaced with an ice pick should it be needed during colder weather.
The handle is a stylized crab claw. This is appropriate given that the crab is frequently associated with the zodiac sign Cancer, which is also the name of the disease that plagues me. Dean used the image of the sea creature to also pay homage to my ancestors, many of whom made their living from/on the sea, as well as my own zodiac sign which is Pisces, another "water sign". By placing the crab's claw on the handle of the cane, I can symbolically get a grip on the disease. The claw is painted red, a colour that in Heiltsuk tradition means "vitality/life". The shaft of the cane is etched with a stylized lily motif, a nod to my love of gardening and nature in general. It's interesting that, of all the flowers, he chose the lily as that blossom holds extra special meaning for me. The flower is frequently associated with the Virgin Mary, a spirit guide with whom I feel a close affinity (in many ways more so than any portion of the Holy Trinity). I've heard that the lily is a symbol of luck in China, and the blossom has been used in medicine for many years. There are two circles of abalone inserted in the handle base just above the shaft. According to an online guide to gems, abalone strengthens muscular tissue, especially the heart, and is also a strong anti-carcinogenic. Abalone shells are also frequently used by Native peoples to catch ashes during smudging ceremonies. (Dean told me some of the abalone he uses in his work comes from a broken smudge pot, but I'm not sure that includes the pieces used in my cane.)

So there is a lot of power, of healing energy in my little cane. How well those attributes will serve me has yet to be determined. I can say, however, that on the few occasions I've called upon its services, the cane has felt very comfortable in my hand (which is somewhat smaller than most) and proved both solid and stable. 

To find out more about Dean Hunt and his amazing work, check out  http://www.spiritwrestler.com/catalog/index.php?artists_id=428     I have little doubt that he has a very bright artistic future.

No comments:

Post a Comment