Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crappy week

Not the most pleasant of weeks. Likely payback for disobeying Cancer Agency orders to stay close to home (last weekend I took Momzy via the train to see Edith and family in Everett, WA).

Abdominal pain when diarrhea/constipation isn't an issue - must say the whole human pretzel impersonation thing is starting to be a tad tiresome. A bit of vomiting. Some minor rectal bleeding. Burning pain in "nether regions". You get the idea. No amount of gentle bathing, hot or cold compresses, creams or lotions designed for the purpose has helped. With the possible exception of cold compresses, such home remedies only seem to make matters worse. In addition, it's nigh on impossible to find anything to eat or drink that doesn't set the whole thing off once more. Not that I have much appetite. (Interesting aside: I have GAINED two pounds despite my body's efforts to void anything I force it to take in.) The BRAT plan of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast are about all I can handle at the moment. Even water is a tad "iffy". Tried a hard-boiled egg a short while ago. So far, so good.

A couple of phone calls to the study team at the Cancer Agency did produce some plausible remedies (incl a $25/pill oral version of Canesten), with only marginal success. Thankfully I have an appointment with my oncologist and the study team on Tues so will see what they think then.

Understand that all of this is not unexpected. Most of the above are potential side effects of the Capecitabine/Lapatinib combo. Things have eased off a bit today in any case, perhaps due to the fact that I have reacted the point in the medication cycle where I'm off Capecitabine for a week (was told the side effects of the two drugs - which are quite similar - might be worsened when the two drugs are taken together as with this study). Don't mind so much if it continues for a bit, but I would like to be able to sit or move about with greater comfort. 

At least I'm able to move about a bit more today. In addition to having a wee walk in the sunshine, I've been able to pop in on Momzy for the first time in days, and to attend to some neglected chores. Relatives arrive tomorrow for a very short visit (two days) with Momzy. The visit will be a pleasant distraction, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment