Sunday, May 16, 2010

Wonder-full Week

Perhaps magic-filled week is a more apt description. After having spent a fun weekend with Mom (a very happy Mother's Day celebration overflowing with love and laughter - amazing how each day seems to bring us more of each even in the absence of Hallmark holidays) I thought life was pretty good. And then it got better!

The first magical moment occurred while I was tending the back garden. Two hummingbirds felt compelled to zoom around my head - they are very loud when very close. This flurry of activity caused me to look up and subsequently notice a most unusual sight overhead. Two pairs of herons passed over my house and landed in one of the trees behind my neighbour's lot. Now, herons aren't particularly rare in these parts, but they tend to prefer the areas closer to water than the agricultural belt here on the West Sechelt bluff. When they are spotted in the 'hood, they are simply passing through en route between the Georgia Strait and Porpoise Bay. Not only have I never seen one alight on trees in this area, pairs or groups of pairs are even more rare in my experience. In the past couple of days, several neighbours have also mentioned sightings of the throwbacks to prehistoric winged creatures floating overhead at all hours. Seems the ultimate destination might be on the far side of the back neighbour's land rather than the adjacent neighbour's tree, however, as that is where several folks have seen heron transporting twigs and other nest-building materials. How wonderful that I don't have to travel all the way to Stanley Park to enjoy a rookery! Better still, unlike the close proximity of the massive urban rookery to the former condo of friends Don and Gerald, there is enough distance between my bedroom window and the local rookery for everyone to have a fairly quiet night. Unless the owls get going - in recent nights they have rivaled the coyotes with their after dark songs. One more note re wildlife: the goldfinches have finally returned as has a rather annoying woodpecker (way can't birds wait until a reasonable hour for breakfast?).

The next bit of wonder hit even closer to home. When I went for chemo on Wed, Brenda managed to access Cath without any trouble! No repeated poking, not bruising, no pain, lots of relief all 'round. Seems the nurse who helped me out last week (Cathy) left detailed instructions complete with diagrams so Brenda's job was much easier.

That news was a great relief for everyone. Felt good enough to spend Sat with Penny at the studio on Granville Island. It's been several months since I was there. Really miss the place. The market, the other studios, the shops, the tourists, the seagulls trying to steal my lunch, the buskers, the scenery ... It was nice having so much time with Penny, a rare thing these days. Ran into several friends on the ferry. All in all, a very nice day. And I wasn't overly tired when I got home. In fact, I've gone several days now without the need for a daily nap. When I do nap, it is only for an hour or so rather than the four+ hours of recent weeks.

Regaining my energy helped convince me that I can get on with something closer to a normal life. My medical team agrees, and has given me the thumbs up to travel. Maritime residents be warned, the JC Farewell Tour could be coming to a location near you! (When I say Farewell Tour, I mean it in the Cher-like sense of the phrase - only I haven't had as much surgery nor do I plan to. I do, however, plan to have a minimum six-years of "farewell" followed by a prequel, a sequel, and a trilogy just like Cher. In other words, screw the two-year prognosis - or, if the experts do have it right, who cares? This girl is going to have fun, fun, fun 'til the Grim Reaper takes me away! But I digress.) I'm set to fly out to Halifax on Wed where I'll spend some time with Dan and Pat before heading up to St John to hang out with family. It's a trip that is long overdue. Pity that it took a few dudes with stethoscopes to convince me to buy a plane ticket. That and an excellent seat sale - thanks Westjet.

Speaking of travels, Momzy and I are riding in style these days. The last bit of excitement for the week comes in the form of a purple 2001 PT Cruiser. We've dubbed it The Grape. Unlike the '92 Ciera, we don't have to climb out of the seats to climb out of the car, all seat belts fasten as designed, the power steering and breaks truly are, the sunroof rocks ...  I'll post a photo first chance I have.

Yup, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes! I love this post which is just so full of life and panache and wonder at what is going on in your neighbourhood.
    Have a fabulous trip and look forward to hearing a rendition of the hijynxs that will have taken place down in NB!

    ReplyDelete